Whew, made it to Wednesday!

Boy, this week couldn’t be any longer!  I know that I have to take things one day at a time, but these days have been really long! 

We had some strange guys walking around in my neighborhood on Monday afternoon and one had just walked down my next door neighbor’s driveway when I went out to the car.  Since her garage door was open, I was concerned that he might have taken something or worse.  So I drove around the block and saw him meet up with another guy.  They just stood at the end of the street.  Then I drove to my kids school a short distance away and tried to call my neighbor.  She didn’t answer the phone, so I went back home to see if they were still there.  They were and I tried calling the neighbor again-no answer.  I started debating the merits of calling the police and was just looking up the phone number (wasn’t sure if this qualified as a 911 call or not-“hello, my neighbor doesn’t answer her phone and I’m concerned”) when my neighbor called to ask me if I had just tried calling her-Thank God for caller ID.  She and I talked for awhile, me explaining my concern and she reassuring me that everything was fine.  Turns out that the two creepy strangers were trying to sell magazines door to door to finance a trip to Bermuda!  Hey, I’d like to go to Bermuda too, but my advice to them is “Get a real job and quit scaring women and small children!”. 

Anyway, that whole thing put a terrible crimp in getting the shopping done so I could bring dinner to a friend who’d recently had a baby.  I can’t concentrate on shopping and cooking if I think someone may be hurt.  So after getting the shopping done and rushing to school to pick up the kids, I started making dinner so it would be ready to take over to her before they needed to eat.  And of course, since it’s now 4 pm, the phone rings incessantly.  Me:  “No, I do not want a lifetime subscription to The Great Beyond”, “Yes, I can help sacristan at 11am mass, schedule me any days but these. . . (all the while thinking-please write the dates down faster, the oven’s ready and the chicken isn’t done being prepped yet), “No, DH isn’t home yet and he is the one you would need to speak with about political donations (as I’ve told these people at least one million times already-haven’t they written down Leave Mrs. B alone yet)”.  Does no one else in our house know how to answer the phone?  Guess not.  But, the meal got done and delivered.  I got to hold the baby for about 20 minutes which destressed me considerably.  Thank you!  I then went home, walked in the house and smelled our dinner-burning!  OMG, do they not even have noses in this place!  DH attempted to complain about the overdone meat and was shut down with a short comment and a look from me.  And the meal proceeded with as much peace and quiet as a 10 year old and 7 year old can muster-in other words, not much.

Tuesday I dropped the kids off at school about 5 minutes early so I could go back home to shower and dress for the volunteer appreciation brunch that they were having at school for us that morning.  Good thing we live close by.  The kids gathered by the lunchroom, sang to us and blessed us.  Very nice.

At DD2’s scout meeting that night, she received recognition as the only troop member with perfect attendance.  I didn’t even know that we hadn’t missed any meetings.  She also got a stuffed elephant for selling over 130 boxes of cookies.   Home and bedtime for both of us.

This morning, I just couldn’t pull it together.  I woke up at 4:30am, couldn’t get back to sleep and so I was too tired to get ready for mass.  Of course today would be the day that DD2’s class does the reading, petitions, offertory procession and choir-Great, just great.  I apologized to her that I wouldn’t be there.  Then, apparently they didn’t get together for BEST after school.  But I didn’t know this, so I just picked up DS from school.  Luckily, DH was there because he thought that they had this one last meeting too.  So when Mrs. G paged me to come to the office, he went up there and found DD2 with a few tears on her face and looking rather worried.  Can the mom guilt get any thicker?  I don’t really want to know.

Tonight DH & DS have left early for a bit of practice before his baseball game.  DD2 & I will head out in a bit to watch the game, then head over to her soccer practice.  Tomorrow morning I have an eye appointment and then the school has their spring program.  Friday was supposed to be easy but there’s no telling for sure with this week.  Only 9 and 1/2 days left of school before summer break!  Woo Hoo!


Comments are closed.

Perfectly Preserved In Perpetuity

Friends, Romans, Countrymen

  • 8,540 interested parties


"If you are what you should be you will set the whole world on fire."
St. Catherine of Sienna

I finally understand

"Among those around you, apostolic soul, you are the stone fallen into the lake. With your word and your example, you produce a first circle, and it another, and another, and another, wider each time. Now do you understand the greatness of your mission?" St. Josemarie Escriva: The Way
%d bloggers like this: